Monday, May 16, 2016

Vocabulaire en tête!

Bonjour à tous et à toutes!

I wanted to share this new writing activity with you! I call it "Vocabulaire en tête!" It's a writing strategy that I use to improve fluency and give individual attention! I also think the students like it and it is how we normally start our Monday class in Français 3!

I have a worksheet which I will gladly share but students could do this on their own sheet of paper! I start by showing them a picture with A LOT going on.  Here are some that I have shown students in the past.


Any image with a lot going on will do! "Where's Waldo?" images work well because students find a lot to talk about. Another great idea is a one minute video! You could watch it or just listen to it.

When they've had a good long look, I then give them 5 minutes to brainstorm as many words as they can on their own. They write verbs and nouns in their respective category. I then give them another 5 minutes to look up words they want to use on their phones!

We then share all the words and definitions on the board. Students copy all the new words on their sheets. They then have 10 minutes to write as much as they can! I tell them not to worry about grammar! (I also encourage them to either A. describe the image/video as they are or B. make a story out of what's happening.) When the 10 minutes are up I give them another few to correct any mistakes and to make sure they didn't repeat the same mistakes as their last "vocabulaire en tête." We then read our stories aloud to the class.

By saving these and stapling them together student can see their own progress! It also makes it easier for students to set and achieve goals. It could also be fun to give a challenge! Like today try to use faire causatif, direct object pronouns, or multiple verb tenses!

Try it out and let me know how it goes! :) Here is the link to my worksheet!


Bonne chance!
-Mme


No comments:

Post a Comment